Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mothers of the Past and Present

Life with a new baby can be really difficult sometimes. My little one is a sucker, trying to get her weaned and used to a binky has been a real challenge. Hours of trying to keep her happy and trying not to overfeed her, because of her desire to suck, has been emotionally and physically stressful. I'm surprised and proud of myself that I can keep calm through it all (I admit I've cried on occasion, but still, I think that's mostly from exhaustion), I don't know where the patience comes from-actually I do, from the Lord. He helps me realize that it's not going to last forever, that my daughter needs my help and she needs that patience and love from me. It's so hard but so easy, all at the same time. It's hard to know what to do for her sometimes but it's easy to do it for her because of the immense love I have for that little angel! So hard to have her fall asleep and be peaceful right up until I put her down, so hard to hear her scream and not know what to do to keep her healthy by not feeding her that much and keep her happy at the same time. With all of this being said, I am so grateful to have support from my mother and from the other mothers I know-such as my wonderful sister who I've turned to for advice a lot in my life and having a baby has definitely not changed that.

But, when I think how wonderful it is to have so much information and support in this day and age for all the things we face, I wonder what it would have been like for mothers of the past. What about Eve? She was the first mother. Who helped her know how to soothe a diaper rash or calm a colic-y baby? They didn't have access to all of the medicine and remedies that we have today. I think of Mary, the mother of Jesus. He was just like any other baby right? It's hard to picture Him crying inconsolably or having diaper blow-outs or keeping His mother up all night. What did she do, who did she turn to?

The answer to those questions: Heavenly Father. It's no different in my case either. Sure, I turn to other mothers to help me out, to teach me common ways to ease gas pains or clear up congestion, etc. But, the one I truly turn to, to help me with my baby and everything else, is the Lord. He gives me added strength when I am in need of it. He gives love in place of the frustration that I would feel. He helps me keep in mind the bigger picture, the knowledge that I am helping one of His precious daughters to live and to learn and to grow. All I have ever wanted is to be a mother. Now that my wish is granted, it can sometimes be harder than expected to have it come true. People will tell you horror stories and will generally tell you that babies are hard and little girls are trouble. Well, while there is some truth to that (yes, being a mom is hard work!), what about all the good stuff? Why aren't more people spreading the word that being a parent is knowing the most joy you'll ever know?? Why is it always the negative stuff that gets the spotlight?

I, for one, am choosing to look on the positive side! Yes, I'm up late into the night and early morning more than I'd care to be. But, I'm up with my little angel baby, bonding with her and helping her through whatever it is she needs help with! Yes, that is a butt-load of diapers that I've changed in the past week. But, at least I know that my daughter's body is functioning as it should and getting all the gunk out of her! Yes, I don't get to go out whenever I please and when I do, it's not the same as before. But, who said I want it to be the same as before? What I want is Ayden. I want to do good by her, be there for her always, and be the best mother I can be! If that means staying up until 4 am (as was the case last night), then so be it. The way I see it, all the late nights pale in comparison to being able to see her sweet face everyday. The crying and the headaches pale in comparison to her little squeaks and smiles. Yes, I am tired and those nights seem eternal but I wouldn't trade it for the nights I slept through before I had her! I am one tired but oh so happy mommy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hannah, you are incredible. I have never thought about Eve or Mary in that way before. I'm sure it was hard for them, but I bet they felt every bit as blessed as you do! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our daughter and your role as a mother. It's hard for me to watch you not be able to do the things you used to be able to do all the time, but reading this makes it all a little easier.

    I know our daughter is worth it!

    I love you, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete